Becoming a Synergetic Play Therapist™
"This was a professional development course second to none! The best of the best." ~ Certified SPT Graduate
This 2 year long training is designed for beginning and advanced play therapists wanting to received Advanced Training in Synergetic Play Therapy or want to become Certified Synergetic Play Therapists™. The program begins each September with a limited number of spots. For more information regarding program requirements, cost or to request an application, please contact us by clicking Here.
- Attendance at 6 Day Synergetic Play Therapy™ Intensive Training
- Internship or Externship focused on Synergetic Play Therapy (will count as 1st year of certificate program)
- Attendance at 6 month Introduction to Synergetic Play Therapy Class
Year 1: Practice Year
This first year is designed to help therapists explore the foundations of Synergetic Play Therapy as they begin to learn about attunement, authenticity, mindfulness, nervous system regulation and attaching to self, the cornerstone of all healing. Therapists will end this first year inspired and with a deep appreciation and understanding of how play therapy really works and some of the brain science behind it.
Therapists will be introduced to:
- Cutting-edge research in interpersonal neural anatomy, mindfulness, attachment and brain development.
- Attachment is a buzz word in child development. However, few theorists recognize and understand how the attachment process actually works and the importance of attaching to one’s self first and foremost.
- The importance of the therapist’s congruent emotional expression in the play room and how this is a key element of helping re-pattern a child's nervous system.
- Learn how to identify types of dys-regulation and symptoms of the nervous system, how to model regulating activities to clients, and how to translate this information to parents.
Therapists will also complete the following requirements before starting Year 2 of the training:
- Monthly supervision (live or via webinar) from a Certified Synergetic Play Therapy Supervisor
- Completion of 10 session observations
- Attendance at the Synergetic Play Therapy Conference (live or via webinar) to complete the following courses: Art in Play Therapy, Sand in Play Therapy, The Art of Dying: Aggression in Play Therapy, Growing Up in Play Therapy and Perceptions of Trauma.
"Lisa is engaging and energizing and I found her delivering of this material uniquely inspirational! I felt personally attuned to, which speaks volumes about her as a person, educator and therapist and definitely one of the best trainings I have attended in quite some time!"
"This conference helped build security, confidence and trust in what I am doing with children in the play room."
"The experiential aspect of this conference brought to life what we were learning and helped me integrate it into my own skill set. I have a deeper appreciation for the client's process, as well as my own with the permission for the shared experience."
Year 2: Advanced Training Year
During this second year, participants will gain a greater understanding and KNOWING of the tenets of Synergetic Play Therapy™ and themselves, along with an in-depth look at the neuro-science and research behind the model. Therapists will begin to study the details of how the play therapy works and have the opportunity to fine tune their skills. They will attend (on-site or webinar) a 3 hour monthly class focusing on the following within the context of a Synergetic Play Therapy process:
- Awareness, mindfulness, and attention
- Attunement and Transition
- Mirror Neurons and Neuro-Biology
- Regression and Non-verbal states
- Attachment Processes and biology of the Nervous System
- Working with Parents
- Adoption, Sensory and Trauma
- Biology of Emotions and Windows of Tolerance
- Narratives and Perception
- Family and Group Processes
- Goodbyes and Endings
- Working with Teens and Adults
- And more…
Participants will participate in individual and group supervision each month. Video observations, additional assignments and readings will also be required in order to maximize learning and integration of the material.
"Where do I begin? This training has provided so much growth for me personally and professionally. I feel like I have a better understanding of the process and how to facilitate growth within my client and within myself. This has been a life changing experience for me." ~ Certified SPT Graduate