Join Lisa and Carmen Jimenez-Pride in a conversation about a topic that has never been talked about so far in this entire podcast series – Internal Family Systems (IFS) and how to incorporate it in the playroom.
In this episode, Carmen, a Registered Play Therapist Supervisor and an Internal Family Systems therapist herself, shares how the Internal Family Systems framework offers a really cool way to hold the client’s experience in the playroom, as well as our experience as therapists. Whether you are or aren’t familiar with IFS, you will definitely want to have a listen!
Here’s a few things you’ll hear discussed in this conversation:
- What IFS looks like in the playroom and for our child clients;
- How to help your clients build a relationship with all parts of themselves (e.g., exiles, protectors, and firefighters);
- How to support the client in fully embracing all aspects of themselves and the experiences that made them who they are;
- How to share the IFS work with parents/caregivers and how to help parents understand their own parts and protective systems;
- How to recognize our parts as therapists and how they can show up in the playroom as well; and
- One of the biggest lies that play therapists may tell themselves and how this can be so challenging to our own emotional wellbeing.
Plus, you’ll hear a funny story about Carmen … how she did not want to be a therapist – What?! And how she did end up starting her clinical and play therapist journey. On behalf of the field, thanks Carmen for going this direction and all you’ve been doing for communities, families and kids! You’re such an inspiration to so many! 💜💜💜
*Don’t know Carmen yet? …. She’s the founder and Executive Director of Outspoken Counseling and Consulting and a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Registered Play Therapist Supervisor, Certified EMDR Therapist, Internal Family Systems Therapist, Registered Yoga Teacher, Registered Children Yoga Teacher, Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator, and LEGO® Serious Play® Facilitator. She’s an international speaker, award-winning best-selling author, and business consultant, as well as a visionary in the play therapy community. You may also recognize her for creating the Diversity in Play Therapy Summit, which has brought together so many brilliant minds working to effect change within the practice of play therapy by increasing cultural awareness and cultural competence for healers working with diverse populations.