- Lisa is joined by an incredibly important person in her life – Duey Freeman, a former professor at Naropa University (Lisa’s alma mater) and founder of the Gestalt Institute of the Rockies and the Gestalt Equine Institute. Duey, a true “elder” (as he is described by many) and mentor in the field of attachment and human development, was Lisa’s former graduate school professor and has been one the most instrumental professors in her career. (see below for Duey’s full bio*)
Get ready to learn about a new way to conceptualize the attachment process and human development- a theory that just may be a foundational piece of missing information in your work as a therapist, as well as how Duey uses equine therapy to re-heal attachment disruptions. This podcast isn’t just for those that work with horses – this information is a must hear for everyone!
Here’s what you’ll hear in this episode …
- An attachment and human development theory that is usable clinically when working with people – the Freeman Attachment Cycle (Lisa integrates this model into her Synergetic Play Therapy courses);
- The reason why we’re always supporting clients in working through the first stages of development (“Is the world ok?” and “Am I ok?”) whether we’re working with a child that is 3 years old or 50 years old;
- What happens for a child when their attachment and developmental needs are not met;
- How to bring instinct and intuition back into all our relationships and into all our therapeutic relationships; and
- How Duey’s work with horses and equine therapy can give us greater understanding about our work in the playroom (plus you’ll hear something amazing about what happens when a person is put on a horse and having them be moved by a horse…it’s absolutely amazing!)
This one will not only give you an amazing new lens from which to see your client work and how to become a therapist WITH your clients, but connect you to your own attachment and life experiences at a really deep level (…It might even bring tears to your eyes).
*Duey Freeman is a sought after teacher, trainer, licensed therapist, and equine professional around the world. He has traveled to teach professionally in over 8 countries, has developed a practical attachment theory and human development theory that is taught to thousands of university students, has over 80,000 direct client hours, and co-founded both the Gestalt Equine Institute and the Gestalt Institute of the Rockies. He provides supervision to therapists and graduate students, does business and land consultations for new equine therapy sites, and models being a life-long student to your passions.
- Freeman Attachment Cycle
- Beyond Words: A Story of Connection (blog)
- LFPR 135. Cathy Malchiodi: Expressive Arts Therapy & Play for Deeper Trauma Healing
- LFPR 134. Arielle Schwartz: Intergenerational Trauma & Play Therapy
- LFPR 131. Bonnie Badenoch: What Non-Judgmental Presence Really Looks Like
- LFPR 112. Kim Barthel: Merging Play, Polyvagal Theory & Sensory Processing
Click above, listen here on Apple Podcasts, or subscribe to the podcast here!